Annotator - Semantic Scholar
Medical Research Paper Annotator
The Allen Institute of Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is looking for a medical undergraduate/graduate student and/or professional/researcher with experience in medical research to work alongside our research team for a part-time/flexible hours project to create medical annotations for our academic search engine Semantic Scholar.
Why this role is important
As a Medical Annotator on the Semantic Scholar team, you will contribute to emerging artificial intelligence research that improves how medical researchers discover relevant information for their research. You will work directly with our research team to create medical annotations from medical research papers to build out a dataset and collaborate with at least one other annotator to verify the quality of your annotations.
- You have in-depth understanding of the medical domain and medical research.
- You have experience reading and evaluating medical research papers or have completed your own medical research projects at a graduate student level.
- You enjoy working collaboratively with other researchers and medical students.
- You are organized, detail-oriented and focused on quality.
What you bring to AI2
- Proven track record as a medical undergraduate/graduate student and/or researcher.
- Solid understanding of the medical domain (must be able to pass a pre-qualification test). We are especially interested in candidates who are familiar with various proteins, genes, gene products, and the ways in which they interact.
- Proficiency with text editing tools.
Compensation and commitment
This is a part-time/flexible hours commitment limited to 30 hours:
- $35/hour x 30 hours = $1,050
- Additional $450 bonus based on successful/high quality completion of the project
- Qualified applicants must be able to complete the project by June 2017
- Scheduled hours are flexible during business hours on weekdays between 9am-5pm in our office in Seattle next to Gasworks park
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity – we seek people of all genders, ethnicities, ages, and levels of experience. We particularly welcome applications from women, people of color, members of the LGBT communities, and people with disabilities.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.