BioMedical Data Specialist
Bio-Medical Data Specialist
The Allen Institute of Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is looking for a biomedical professional with experience in medical research for a 12-month full-time position to create medical annotations for our academic search engine Semantic Scholar.
Why this role is important
You will participate in emerging artificial intelligence research that improves how medical researchers discover relevant information for their research. Your primary responsibility will be to work on medical annotations from research papers to build out machine learning datasets. Additionally you will get the opportunity participate in and lead data quality control processes and assist with other life science annotation efforts at AI2. Your work is integral to the success of our efforts to build semantic components for Semantic Scholar and you will have the opportunity to directly shape and influence the direction of the product!
- You have in-depth understanding of the medical domain and medical research.
- You have experience reading and evaluating medical research papers or have completed your own medical research projects.
- You have a Bachelor of Science in Biology (Pre-Med) or related degree.
- You are proficient with text editing tools and have a basic understanding command line interfaces.
What you bring to AI2
- You bring a strong familiarity with various proteins, genes, gene products, and the ways in which they interact.
- You have strong analytical skills and an interest in artificial intelligence.
- You are organized and focused on speed and quality.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.