Data Engineer (crowdsourced, linguistic)
At AI2, we tackle challenging AI problems that require the successful understanding of natural language. To continue to advance our research and the success of our systems, we require a diverse collection of large datasets related to NLP applications such as semantic role labeling (SRL), part-of-speech (POS) tagging, parsing, named entity recognition (NER), and various other models and approaches.
In this role, you will be working closely with engineers and research scientists in our AllenNLP, Aristo, and Euclid teams to collect, manage and maintain these important research datasets.
What you’ll do:
- Design approaches for collecting large volumes of high-quality data and annotations using crowdsourcing frameworks such as Amazon Mechanical Turk, Crowdflower, etc.
- Manually review and curate datasets
- Maintain databases and documentation of datasets for easy access by the organization
- Work with other engineers to build and share common data collection and curation resources to support and streamline efforts across the organization
- Work closely with researchers to develop new approaches to crowdsourcing linguistic data
What we’re looking for:
- Designing and executing successful crowdsourcing tasks and pipelines
- Proficiency with a programming languages for scripting tasks and small applications (such as Python or Java)
- Basic familiarity with Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML) concepts
- Building quality datasets to support research
- Self-directed problem solving and successful communication of status, outcomes, and new ideas
We are very passionate about our work at AI2 and are looking for an individual who is motivated, enthusiastic and driven to help us succeed.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.