Engineering Manager, Semantic Scholar (Online Team)
Engineering Manager, Semantic Scholar (Online Team)
AI2 is looking for a talented Engineering Manager to manage a team of engineers working to push the boundaries of what an intelligent machine can accomplish.
Since its launch in November 2015, Semantic Scholar has indexed and learned from millions of computer science research articles from hundreds of journals and conferences. As we scale to new domains, it’s more important than ever to have scalable solutions to our problems, whether it is optimizing search over our corpus, soliciting data improvements from our users, or keeping our payload small as we add new features.
The Online team of Semantic Scholar owns every system required to keep our site online, including a JVM based API, a large Elasticsearch installation and an isomorphic front-end web application. The Online team (at a size of 6 engineers) focuses on dual goals of site stability and rapid development.As an engineering manager you'll be responsible for ensuring the team is able to ship high-quality software quickly while also growing each individual's career and maintaining a positive and collaborative environment.
- Establish and reinforce engineering best practices
- Working with Program Management to define and communicate long-term priorities for the engineering team
- Organize infrastructure investments to keep the team at top performance
- Ensure the team has an effective design review process
- Encourage knowledge share across the team for effective collaboration
- Ensure production issues are handled as they arise
- Mentor and develop team members to help them reach their full potential
- Maintain a collaborative and motivated team
- Encourage a collaborative, inclusive team culture
- Continue to grow the team through effective hiring
Why Being an Engineer at AI2 is Great
At AI2, you’ll be working not just with talented software engineers but also with world-class AI researchers, helping to advance several scientific fields. We have projects focused on understanding and answering real-world questions, interpreting pictures and videos, and building the world’s best academic search engine. Our engineers build core infrastructure and research tools to support these endeavors, getting involved with just about every aspect of our work. There are also many opportunities to contribute directly to research - fresh ideas and enthusiasm are great additions to any team!
We have a beautiful office right on Lake Union, catered lunches twice a week, great pay and benefits, smart and friendly and helpful co-workers, and a couple of kayaks you can take out on sunny days (as soon as you sign the liability waiver and the collision damage waiver and the indemnity agreement, of course).
A strong technical understanding of web application architectures.
We’re looking for a strong leader with demonstrated experience managing a team of engineers. We’ll provide you with excellent engineers, but we’ll need you to be adept at managing their brilliance effectively.
Experience with and (especially) desire to be “agile”
We are “scrummy” and “agilitized” in our planning, which is definitely the right way to use these terms. If you like everything to go through a ten-step planning process before being handed off to developers, this is not a great place for you to be.
Do some or all of these sound like you? Contact us!
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity of thought – we seek Software Engineers who can bring novel experiences and modes of problem solving to our leading-edge mission. If you are creative and efficient in your approach and insightful in your questioning, AI2 could be a great environment for you;
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!