General Manager, Semantic Scholar
AI2 is looking for a General Manager to lead the Semantic Scholar project - our research, product, and engineering driven mission to build an artificially-intelligent academic search engine.
Why This Role Is Important
Since its launch in November 2015, Semantic Scholar has indexed and learned from tens of millions of computer science and biomedical research articles from thousands of journals and conferences. Researchers trust our platform to help them discover the information they need. Looking further ahead, we need a leader with the vision and skill to expand our reach to all of scientific knowledge. (We like to think big.)
What You Bring to AI2
You will report to the CEO, and be responsible for the product vision, engineering roadmap, and organizational culture needed to drive Semantic Scholar forward as a leader in academic search. Outstanding communication, analysis, teamwork, and organizational skills are essential to this role.
You will gather requirements, assess opportunities, and communicate the mission and goals of Semantic Scholar across the organization. You will use customer research and data analysis to support new proposals and guide prioritization. You will work with engineering leaders to produce excellent software by maintaining a backlog of impactful features balanced against strong infrastructural investments. You will help the team maintain focus by insisting on quantitative evaluation of new initiatives and existing features over time.
- Extensive experience leading product and engineering teams.
- Experience crafting an organizational plan from the diverse input of a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to take responsibility for setting and meeting organizational goals.
- Willingness to represent the team's contributions and accomplishments to both a Scientific Advisory Board and a Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated success in analyzing and benchmarking user needs and understanding the competitive landscape.
- Experience cultivating a team of managers by building their skills and mentoring on an ongoing basis.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.