Research Engineer - Euclid
Research Engineer - Euclid
AI2 is looking for talented engineers to join Project Euclid, our grand challenge project that aims to enable a computer to pass the math SAT.
Why This Role Is Important
As a Research Engineer on Euclid, you’ll have the opportunity to work shoulder-to-shoulder with our researchers to push the frontier of automated natural language understanding. This role will expose you to artificial intelligence disciplines like natural language processing, deep learning, and vision, . making the position a good starting point for a career in artificial intelligence and/or machine learning. Our alumni have been accepted to top PhD programs in computer science such as Carnegie Mellon, Harvard, Columbia, University of Washington, Cornell, UIUC, UT Austin, and Northwestern.
What You'll Learn (Or Teach Us, Or Both)
- How to develop state state-of-the-art semantic parsing systems that translate natural language to executable programs.
- How to build sophisticated inference engines that can flexibly solve a wide variety of constraint satisfaction and optimization problems.
- How to design and train statistical models for natural language processing and diagram analysis.
What You Bring to AI2
- Background or interest in AI and related fields, especially in any of Statistics, Machine Learning, Algorithms, Mathematics, etc.
- Background or interest in machine learning frameworks, especially SciKit-Learn and deep learning libraries such as TensorFlow, Keras, DyNet, Theano or Torch.
- Background or interest in constraint satisfaction and optimization technologies, especially SAT/SMT solvers, ILP solvers, convex optimization, etc.
- Software development skills - Developing clean, well-designed code to solve really hard problems is what we do.
- Strong collaboration skills - Our environment is small and collaborative, and we'd like you to thrive on working closely with others.
- Familiarity with Unix-like systems and working in "the cloud" - Your skills will help us rely on AWS/GCloud and other on-demand infrastructure and services for all our projects.
- Proficiency with or desire to learn Scala, Python, and Java.
Do some or all of these sound like you? Contact us!
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.