Semantic Scholar Research Scientist
Semantic Scholar Research Scientist
The primary goal of the research team in Semantic Scholar is language understanding in scientific publications. Research scientists propose, plan and execute research projects which involve developing novel statistical models to power the semantic features in Semantic Scholar. Research scientists are also strongly encouraged to publish high-impact research papers in top-tier venues based on their research.
We are seeking applicants with:
- Strong desire to do research with practical impact.
- Experience developing statistical and computational models for information extraction and structured prediction.
- High-quality publications in top-tier venues in natural language processing or machine learning.
- Programming experience in python and deep learning libraries (e.g., tensorflow and keras).
- A PhD degree (or equivalent experience) in natural language processing, machine learning.
- Strong communication skills.
- [bonus] Experience in the biomedical domain.
What You'll Learn (Or Teach Us, Or Both)
- How to create fast, efficient search indexes for scientific papers.
- How to develop neural network models for semantic analysis of scientific papers.
- How to scale neural network models to be used in production.
- How to model medical concepts.
- How to extract knowledge about publications from PDFs.
- How to make sure the computer doesn't confuse John Smith, computer scientist, with John Smith, neuroscientist.
- How to generalize from a computer-science-research and neuroscience-research search engine to an all-of-science-research search engine.
- How to extract and understand tables, figures, and other graphical representations of information in scholarly literature.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.