Senior Legal Counsel (JD Required)
Why This Role Is Important
AI2 is hiring a Senior Legal Counsel to join our growing team. This is the first in-house legal counsel position at AI2 and this individual will lead employment and contractual legal strategy.
In partnership with AI2 leadership, you will be overseeing legal compliance for programs that enhance the employment experience of a talented team pursuing an extraordinary set of scientific and engineering challenges. This role will share in the ultimate responsibility for creating a great place to work.
What You’ll Be Doing
You will provide both strategic and tactical legal leadership and support that meets the needs of the organization and help us to achieve our mission. You will handle a variety of issues including employment law, vendor contracts, licensing issues, IP agreements, collaboration agreements and much more.
- As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, contribute to the development of overall direction, strategy and corporate decision-making processes.
- You will anticipate and guard against legal risks involving the company.
- Collaborate with Senior Leaders to formulate proactive programs and services that align with the mission and organizational goals.
- Guide the company on issues relating to visa requirements for international candidates, both full-time hires and interns.
- Draft, review, and negotiate employment and partner related contracts, including service agreements, consulting agreements, NDA’s, and general operational agreements.
- Collaborate with our COO and internal/external partners to anticipate and handle licensing and intellectual property matters.
- Engage both with our partners at Vulcan Legal and outside counsel.
- Ensure compliance with all Federal, state and local statutes involving employment.
- Understand budget and other financial measures of success and company governance.
What You’ll Come With:
You should be a licensed attorney in the State of Washington and have an in-depth understanding of contractual issues and employment law. Experience in the technology and/or start-up space is a strong preference.
- Proven ability to effectively interface and operate with executive level management.
- Consistent track record of responsibility and integrity in all that you do.
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating commercial and technology contracts for business transactions.
- Ability to adjust rapidly to changing strategies and approaches in a dynamic environment.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, communication, and presentation skills.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited institution and 15+ years’ relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Washington State Bar Association admission in good standing required.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity – we seek people of all genders, ethnicities, ages, and levels of experience. We particularly welcome applications from women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ communities, and people with disabilities.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 75+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.