Senior UX Researcher
Senior UX Researcher
The Semantic Scholar team is looking for a UX Researcher to work with product design on our academic search engine. We’re like a small startup with a growing V1 product and are excited to give an experienced user researcher plenty of autonomy and opportunity to lead.
Semantic Scholar is a research engine with millions of journals and articles helping scientists solve some of humanity’s most challenging problems.
What you’ll do
- Work with product managers and designers to identify research opportunities and plan studies
- Design studies using qualitative or quantitative methods to understand user behavior and attitudes
- Conduct research studies with methodological rigor and document results
- Synthesize study results and and suggest product improvements
- Communicate study findings in compelling and succinct ways
- Help the team and leadership better understand our users
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years industry experience conducting user research in a consumer software product development organization
- BA/BS in a human behavior related field (e.g., HCI, Information Sciences, Psychology, etc)
- MA/PhD preferred
- Familiarity with and experience conducting a wide range of qualitative and user-centered design methods
- Ability to perform basic quantitative statistical analysis
- Ability to craft compelling presentations summarizing research findings
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.