This posting is not for a specific open position at AI2. If another position matches your interests, please apply under that posting. However, we are always interested in hearing from top candidates regardless of our open positions. If you apply here we will see if we can find an opportunity that matches your skills and interests!
As an engineer at AI2, you’ll be working side-by-side with world-class researchers, helping to build state-of-the-art AI systems. We have projects focused on understanding and answering real-world questions, understanding pictures and videos, and building the world’s best academic search engine. Engineers build core infrastructure, research tools, and help out with just about every aspect of our work. There are also many opportunities to contribute directly to research - fresh ideas and enthusiasm are great additions to any team!
What You'll Learn (Or Teach Us, Or Both)
* How to create fast, efficient search indexes for scientific papers
* How to build a reliable, performant scientific paper crawler
* How to model neuroscience concepts
* How to make sure the computer doesn't confuse John Smith, computer scientist, with John Smith, neuroscientist
* How to generalize from a computer-science-research and neuroscience-research search engine to an all-of-science-research search engine
Why Being An Engineer At AI2 Is Great
At AI2, you’ll be working not just with talented software engineers but also with world-class AI researchers, helping to push forward their fields. We have projects focused on understanding and answering real-world questions, understanding pictures and videos, and building the world’s best academic search engine. Our engineers build core infrastructure and research tools, and help out with just about every aspect of our work. There are also many opportunities to contribute directly to research - fresh ideas and enthusiasm are great additions to any team!
We have a beautiful office right on Lake Union; catered lunches twice a week; great pay and benefits; smart and friendly and helpful co-workers; and a couple of kayaks you can take out on sunny days (as soon as you sign the liability waiver and the collision damage waiver and the indemnity agreement, of course).
Our Ideal Candidate Has Many Of The Following
Strong software development skills
Developing clean, well-designed code to solve really hard problems is what we do. This one is kind of non-negotiable.
Strong collaboration skills
We have nothing but respect for the kinds of developers who lock themselves in underground caves and produce great code, but we're a small, collaborative environment, and we need developers who thrive on working closely with others
Familiarity with Unix-like systems and working in "the cloud"
We use lots of Linux and lots of EC2 machines; if you don't know what those are you'll probably have a tough time being productive here.
Experience building systems at scale
We solve big problems, which means we run into the kinds of issues that people run into when they try to solve big problems. If you're good at dealing with these kinds of issues, that's a big help.
Proficiency with and (especially) desire to work with Scala
We write most of our code in Scala, so you if you don't like writing Scala (or the idea of writing Scala) you might not be terribly happy here.
Expertise with Spark and Elastic Search
We can put your expertise to pretty good use, trust us.
Familiarity with and (especially) desire to learn and apply machine learning
As we expand to more and more scientific disciplines (and to harder and harder engineering problems), machine learning will keep becoming more and more crucial to everything we do. If that's your thing, that's a good thing.
Do some or all of these sound like you? Contact us!
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity of thought – we seek Software Engineers who can bring novel experiences and modes of problem solving to our leading-edge mission. If you are creative and efficient in your approach and insightful in your questioning, AI2 could be a great environment for you;
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 50+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!