Software Engineer - Semantic Scholar
AI2 is looking for talented engineers to improve the infrastructure behind Semantic Scholar, our artificially-intelligent academic search engine.
Why This Role Is Important
Since its launch in November 2015, Semantic Scholar has indexed and learned from millions of computer science research articles from hundreds of journals and conferences. Now we're preparing to launch our search engine in a new domain -- medicine. In order to accomplish this we need to scale up our crawler, come up with models that understand the language of academic medicine, and develop strategies that ensure our search engine doesn't miss any papers. Looking further ahead, our design and build infrastructure will scale to handle all of scientific knowledge. (We like to think big.)
What You'll Learn (Or Teach Us, Or Both)
- How to create fast, efficient search indexes for scientific papers.
- How to build a reliable, performant scientific paper crawler.
- How to model medical concepts.
- How to make sure the computer doesn't confuse John Smith, computer scientist, with John Smith, neuroscientist.
- How to generalize from a computer-science-research and neuroscience-research search engine to an all-of-science-research search engine.
What You Bring to AI2
- Your software development skills - Developing clean, well-designed code to solve really hard problems is what we do.
- Strong collaboration skills - Our environment is small and collaborative, and we'd like you to thrive on working closely with others.
- Your familiarity with Unix-like systems and working in "the cloud" - Your skills will help us rely on AWS and other on-demand infrastructure and services for all our projects.
- Experience building systems at scale - you'll help us tackle big problems, which means running into the kinds of issues that can only be solved with high-scale systems.
- Proficiency with or desire to learn Scala, Python, and Java.
- You should have expertise with or enthusiasm for Spark and Elasticsearch.
Do some or all of these sound like you? Contact us!
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.