Software Engineering Intern
Are you interested in honing your engineering skills while learning about cutting-edge developments in Artificial Intelligence? If so, an internship at AI2 may be the perfect opportunity. Through early November, AI2 will be interviewing for 2018 internships. Start dates are flexible, although it is easier to accommodate internship outside the summer (July and August). While ideally you can spend 6 months at AI2, we are also open to shorter internships (but with a 3 month minimum).
At AI2, you’d be working not just with talented software engineers but also with world-class AI researchers. We have projects on understanding and answering real-world questions, learning from pictures and videos, and building the world’s best academic search engine. As an intern at AI2, you would have the chance to learn about and collaborate on all of these projects.
We have a beautiful office right on Lake Union; catered lunches three times a week; great pay and benefits; smart, friendly and helpful co-workers; and even a couple of kayaks you can take out on sunny days.
Potential projects you might do
- AllenNLP: collaborate with Research Scientists to integrate state-of-the-art models with our library and demo.
- Aristo: add new features to Beaker, our system for executing experiments, to assist in understanding which parameters yield the best performance.
- Euclid: optimize the rate of experimentation so the team can move faster to increase how well our system answers SAT math questions.
- Semantic Scholar: optimize our search relevance to better connect researchers with the academic publications they are looking for.
What we’re looking for
- Students who are late in their program or recently graduated, and have an excellent academic record.
- Successful past internships (or full time employment) at top technology companies.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 50+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.