Business Intelligence Engineer, Semantic Scholar
The Allen Institute of Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is looking for a talented Business Intelligence Engineer to build and maintain our user analytics systems that support product and research efforts for our academic search and discovery engine, Semantic Scholar. Since its launch in November 2015, Semantic Scholar has indexed and learned from over 50 million research papers in thousands of journals and conferences. As a Business Intelligence Engineer you will play a critical role in helping us understand our users and in creating data that is used as input for a variety of research projects including AI model development.
In this role, you will be responsible for the architecture and maintenance of our analytics infrastructure. This includes ensuring that our analytics data (client-side events, server-side data and content metadata) is captured accurately and completely, transformed and made available in a DataWarehouse for easy query access. In addition to maintaining our analytics infrastructure, you will also be responsible for creating business-critical dashboards and reports to empower our product team to understand user behavior and make investment decisions. Another core area of responsibility includes creating data for our research team and providing programmatic access infrastructure to make the data easily accessible for model training and evaluation. We will look to you to be a self-starter with a passion for data insights and analytics that transforms our understanding of our users and accelerates our research efforts.
- Develop easily maintainable ETL data pipelines that combine client-side events, server-side data, and content metadata to feed into our analytics DataWarehouse.
- Collaborate closely with the Semantic Scholar leadership and product teams to build business-critical dashboards and reports.
- Work with engineering to automate analytics events and create mechanisms that prevent breakage and guarantee backwards compatibility.
- Support user behavior analysis for product launches.
- Work with research to support data needs (training, test and evaluation data) for research model development and research publications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail including a solid foundation in statistics, data science, and experience troubleshooting operational issues.
- Expert SQL knowledge and fluency in programming or scripting languages including Python.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in data science, business analytics, business intelligence (BI) or comparable experience.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree of Data Engineering, Data Science or related degree.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization — because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity — We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion — We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance — we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent — we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle — and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly — chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.