Data Science Analyst
The Allen Institute of Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is looking for a talented Data Science Analyst with experience in scientific research (biochemistry, pre-med or a related field) to work alongside our research and engineering teams to crowdsource, curate and analyze data from the machine learning and AI models that power our academic search engine Semantic Scholar. Since its launch in November 2015, Semantic Scholar has indexed and learned from over 40 million research papers in thousands of journals and conferences. We are actively expanding the scope and scale of our models and in this role you will have the opportunity to directly shape and influence the direction of the product by contributing to emerging artificial intelligence research that improves how researchers discover relevant information!
- Work with Research to understand project scope and define annotation and evaluation requirements.
- Create and crowdsource annotations from research papers to build large datasets that power our machine learning and AI models.
- Evaluate model output and manage data quality to ensure that the data can be used by our research team to develop high-performing models.
- Produce and document insights from annotations to support error analysis and recommend model improvements.
- Recruit expert annotators in a variety of scientific fields and design, create and manage crowdsourcing and expert annotation tasks.
- You have in-depth background and understanding of one or more scientific domains (biochemistry, pre-med or a related field).
- You have experience reading and evaluating research papers or have published your own research.
- You enjoy working collaboratively with other researchers.
- You are organized, detail-oriented and focused on speed and quality.
- You have a Bachelor of Science or related degree.
What you bring to AI2
- Proven research track record as an undergraduate/graduate student.
- Strong background and understanding of a scientific domain (biochemistry, pre-med or a related field).
- Proficiency with text editing tools, spreadsheet and a basic understanding of command line interfaces. Additional technical skills including SQL and scripting a plus.
- Strong analytical skills and an interest in artificial intelligence.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.