Front End Engineer, Semantic Scholar
Front End Software Engineer - Semantic Scholar
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is looking for a Front End Engineer to help drive stellar user experience and product development on Semantic Scholar, a fast-growing search engine and research tool powered by artificial intelligence. Since its launch in November 2015, Semantic Scholar has indexed and learned from over 50 million research papers in thousands of journals and conferences. As a Front End Engineer, you will develop great user experiences that are used by millions of researchers around the world.
Our front end engineering team is responsible for every system required to keep our site online. This includes our data API, search index, and front-end web application. As an engineer on the team, you will work with a talented team of colleagues to develop new features while maintaining world-class standards of latency and reliability. You’ll collaborate with a variety of disciplines that span design, AI research, product management and executive leadership
Excellent communication, engineering, and leadership skills are essential in this role. You should be comfortable working closely in a team, building technical buy-in, and balancing effective design/code reviews with quick delivery.
- 1+ years of relevant work experience.
- Working knowledge developing responsive experiences for a variety of browsers, operating systems, and screen sizes.
- Ability to explore, dive deep and quickly ramp up on technical stacks, frameworks and programming languages.
- Experience with writing integration and unit tests using front end technologies.
- Knowledge of potential front end security risks such as persistent/reflected XSS and CSRF.
- Proven ability to self-manage, prioritize in a complex, fast-paced environment; proven ability to work autonomously or with little guidance.
- An understanding of SEO and the associated best practices.
- Experience supporting complex, online systems in a production environment.
- An understanding of web performance best practices and experience reducing front-end latency.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.