Full Stack Engineer, Beaker
The Beaker team has been working on an ambitious plan to grow our platform for rapid and reproducible research. To accomplish our goals, we will need to grow the team—and a Full stack Engineer is our most pressing need to keep customers delighted in their day-to-day use of the platform.
Over the past year, the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) has built an internal system called Beaker to help AI scientists run experiments on the cloud and understand their results. Beaker leverages Kubernetes and Docker to make it easier to train models and scale experiments in the cloud (GKE). To organize results, Beaker provides a clean UX and records the complete data, metadata, and code associated with each experiment and this information is easily shareable with a URL. hese linkable experiments provide an unprecedented ability to revisit, share, replicate, and modify experiments with just a few clicks.
Beaker has made a huge impact internally by helping researchers run more experiments and collaborate easier with colleagues. As a non-profit whose mission is to make an impact in the field of AI, we’re looking to make the Beaker platform public so any researcher can use it. In preparation for a public launch we are growing the team, and a key position is to hire a full stack software engineer to help us design and implement new features that make our user's life better. Candidates are expected to work across our stack to deliver impact. We are a small team and operate in a fast-paced, startup environment. Candidates should feel comfortable making decisions under ambiguity, learning new technologies, and working with our users to help define new features and workflows.
Why this role matters:
At the core of Beaker is a belief that well-designed UX can allow researchers to move faster. This position will help design and deliver clean solutions to our researcher's most pressing problems.
What you’ll bring to the team:
We’re looking for a full stack engineer with a passion for delivering delightful user experience---someone who knows that working code is only the first stage of a robust, reliable and useful system. A successful candidate should be able to define and deliver on key features for our users.
We don’t require specific experience with a particular set of tooling or framework, rather we look for someone who demonstrates passion and expertise for delivering impactful products. However, within the team we use the following technologies:
- Kubernetes (GKE)
Experience with any or all of these systems is a plus.
What you’ll learn, or teach us, or both!
- How to design beautiful and useful experience to our users
- What engineering is needed to support cutting-edge research experimentation
- How to optimize neural components with parameter tuning
- How to dive into complex production issues and deliver both short-term fixes and define long-term improvements
- How to translate the needs of individual researchers into a general platform that empowers all researchers within AI2 as well as the AI community as a whole.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.