Senior Brand Marketing Manager, Semantic Scholar
Semantic Scholar (semanticscholar.org) is a free, AI-powered research tool for scientific literature. We have grown from a groundbreaking research project at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence to a tool millions of scholars use every week.
Our product uses AI to understand the semantics, or meaning, of scientific literature and surface it to our users through features that help them discover and understand science more effectively than any other tool. Since our launch in November 2015, we have indexed more than 175 million research papers from thousands of academic journals and conferences and built a user base of millions of scholars in over 100 countries. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, Wired, Nature, Science, and many other publications.
We are looking for an experienced marketing leader to raise the profile of the Semantic Scholar brand among our target users, partners, and influencers.
In this newly created role, you will be the senior marketing leader on the team. You will work within a high energy, fast-paced team that includes prominent A.I. research scientists, world-class engineers, and product professionals. You are a natural storyteller, and are proficient evangelizing through web content, email, and social media channels. You are data-driven and results-oriented, but are also comfortable using your judgment to make decisions in the absence of data. You enjoy working on a small team where bureaucracy is low but great communication and collaboration is essential. You care more about having an impact on an important mission than you do about your title or budget.
If your ambition is to join a passionate, mission-driven team working at the cutting edge of product and technology, Semantic Scholar may be the perfect opportunity for you.
- Develop and maintain a roadmap of marketing initiatives that support Semantic Scholar strategy and product roadmap.
- Manage content calendar in support of brand, product, and public relations goals.
- Own the Semantic Scholar brand story, editorial voice and tone, and writing style.
- Author and copyedit Semantic Scholar short form and long-form marketing content.
- Manage Semantic Scholar marketing channels, including web content, email, blog, social media, advertising, and external marketing campaigns.
- Evaluate the performance of marketing campaigns against acquisition and retention goals and report to the team.
- Conduct market research and research into key user segments in support of Semantic Scholar goals.
- 7+ years experience in brand or product marketing roles at high-growth consumer internet or eCommerce companies, or equivalent non-profit experience
- Excellent short- and long-form writing skills and the ability to grasp specific brand tone, manner, and editorial style guidelines and to write and maintain content accordingly.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to initiate and drive initiatives with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and influence effectively across multiple functions.
- Experience with digital marketing and tools. Experience with Hubspot, Contentful, and Heap a plus.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, non-hierarchical environment and wear multiple hats
- Familiarity with science and scientific publishing (through work or education) a plus
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.