Senior Designer and UX Engineer
AI2 is looking for a talented individual to design and build compelling product interfaces and to demonstrate our cutting-edge research through interactive experiences.
Why this role is important
AI2 has many groundbreaking research discoveries and software projects, but without a compelling design these projects won’t reach their full potential. As a designer at AI2 you will work with engineering teams and research scientists to define and build user experiences that make our products easy to use and our research contributions accessible and understandable.
This role will have crucial involvement across several important projects at AI2. A portion of your time will be designing the overall experience and new features for Beaker, a product we’re building to revolutionize how researchers run, organize, and share experiments. You will be iterating closely with the engineers on the Beaker team to develop high-quality designs that their engineering team will implement. The other core element of this role will be to design and build the user experiences that demonstrate our top research contributions – whether those are visualizations to help understand how a model is working internally on AllenNLP, or an interactive interface for a human to play a guessing game against a state-of-the-art AI system. Throughout all of the above, you will work with engineers, product managers, and research scientists to define solutions that are attractive and engaging.
This is a high-impact role where you will have the opportunity to drive design thinking and best practices across the organization.
What you’ll bring to the team:
We’re looking for someone with a passion for user experience and creating simple, effective interfaces. Ideally you are organized, self-starting, and like to find ways to work more efficiently.
Our research and engineering teams iterate rapidly, and release often. You should be comfortable with a lean, agile process. You should love creating elegant solutions to complex problems. You should be able to effectively communicate your ideas to non-design professionals, and take critical feedback in stride. Startup experience is a plus.
We don’t require specific experience with a particular set of tooling or framework. Rather, we look for someone who demonstrates passion and expertise for delivering impactful products, and the ability to learn and adapt quickly. We use the following technologies:
- HTML5, CSS3, SCSS/LESS
- GitHub and GitHub Pages/Jekyll
- AWS and Google Cloud
In addition, we’re looking for someone who has:
- A portfolio of previously designed usable, beautiful products
- A passion for user experience and creating simple, smart interfaces
- Experience conducting user research to define the best solutions to user problems
- Proficiency with a particular tool for creating mocks (Invision Studio, Photoshop, Sketch)
What you’ll learn, or teach us, or both!
- How to visualize why AI models make the decisions they do
- How to make computational research workflows understandable and reproducible for a broad range of users
- How to further AI2’s mission of “AI for the Common Good” by taking our resources and our research to the next level with state-of-the-art user experiences
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal ongoing education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity – we seek people of all genders, ethnicities, ages, and levels of experience. We particularly welcome applications from women, people of color, members of the LGBT communities, and people with disabilities.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.