Senior Engineering Manager, Semantic Scholar
AI2 is looking for a talented Senior Engineering Manager to lead a team of engineers who bring the value of our artificial intelligence capabilities to the global research community via http://semanticscholar.org.
Since its launch in November 2015, Semantic Scholar has indexed and learned from over 40 million research papers in thousands of journals and conferences. Our user-facing application is the public face of this work, and this team owns every system required to keep our site online. This includes our data API, search index, and front-end web application. The team focuses on the dual goals of site stability and rapid development. As an engineering manager you'll be responsible for ensuring the team is able to ship high-quality software quickly while growing each individual's career and maintaining a positive, collaborative environment.
- Understand our customers and propose technical solutions that meet their needs. Define the roadmap for growth, make effective tradeoffs between new feature development, operations, and scaling.
- Establish and reinforce engineering best practices.
- Work with Product and Program Management to define and communicate long-term priorities for the engineering team.
- Implement and manage an effective design review process.
- Encourage knowledge sharing across the team for effective collaboration.
- Maintain SLAs for production issues are handled as they arise.
- Hire world-class engineers, mentor and develop team members to reach their full potential.
- Maintain a supportive, inclusive team culture.
- 10 years experience working in software development teams, ideally throughout the systems life-cycle in a high-growth environment.
- 3 years experience managing people, preferably in software engineering roles.
- Proven skills in authoring and evaluating application designs and architecture.
- Experience with hiring, mentoring, career development, and performance management.
- Experience with agile/Scrum/Kanban-style iterative software development processes.
- Experience with modern web development frameworks like React and Vue JS.
- Experience leading development of a distributed, large, complex web application that has been successfully delivered to customers.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.