Senior Visual Designer
AI2 is looking for a talented individual to design software interfaces and graphic materials that demonstrate our cutting-edge research and generate external awareness of our efforts.
Why this role is important
AI is a complex field that requires collaboration across multiple disciplines. Research efforts are hindered by a lack of effective visualizations and tooling, and industry-wide collaboration suffers due to challenges related to the interpretability and reproducibility of the systems being created. As a designer at AI2 you’ll help us tackle these problems by designing software interfaces that both aid the research effort and share our discoveries with the greater research community.
AI2 is a small, focused organization that will provide you with a flexible role and the opportunity to wear multiple hats. You’ll be both deeply involved in specific, longer-term software projects as well as involved in establishing general, high-level design direction for the institute. Your responsibilities will include everything from logo design to brainstorming and designing visualizations that help us understand the inner workings of complicated machine learning models. There’s no shortage of work to do and we’re not a place where people are constrained to their job titles—you’ll have ample room to grow and determine how to be most impactful.
To get a more concrete idea of the type of work you’ll be doing, take a look at some of our existing projects and interfaces:
- The demos and website for AllenNLP, an open source toolkit for NLP research.
- Beaker, a product that aims to revolutionize how researchers run, organize and share their research.
- The AI2 leaderboards, where we encourage collaboration on common AI tasks by transparently sharing recent approaches and advances.
- The demo for Aristo, a system that answers science questions via knowledge derived from textbooks and other educational materials.
- The allenai.org website, the main information hub for the wider world about our institute and its mission.
This is a high-impact role where you will work closely with researchers, engineers, product managers and others across the institute to design high fidelity visual experiences for cutting edge research efforts and software.
What you’ll bring to the team:
We’re looking for someone with a passion for creating simple, effective end user experiences. As we’re a small company you should be organized, self-starting, and someone who is comfortable with navigating ambiguity.
Our research and engineering teams iterate rapidly, and release often. You should be comfortable with a lean, agile process. You should love creating elegant solutions to complex problems. You should be able to effectively communicate your ideas to non-design professionals, and take critical feedback in stride. Startup experience is a plus.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A portfolio of previously designed usable, beautiful products
- A passion for user experience and creating simple, smart interfaces
- Experience conducting user research to define the best solutions to user problems
- Experience with a particular tool for creating mocks (Invision Studio, Photoshop, Sketch)
- A general understanding of web technologies and experience designing for a diverse range of client devices and mediums
- Experience developing style guides and branding materials
- Experience designing print materials
What you’ll learn, or teach us, or both!
- How to visualize why AI models make the decisions they do
- How to make computational research workflows understandable and reproducible for a broad range of users
- How to further AI2’s mission of “AI for the Common Good” by taking our resources and our research to the next level with state-of-the-art user experiences
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal ongoing education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity – we seek people of all genders, ethnicities, ages, and levels of experience. We particularly welcome applications from women, people of color, members of the LGBT communities, and people with disabilities.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.