Software Engineer 2
Software Engineer 2, Prior
Your Next Challenge:
- Perform background research by reading and analyzing previous scientific work including replicating experiments
- Define a question of interest in the computer vision space based on state-of-the-art as determined by background research
- Create experiments for exposing and measuring the question of interest as well as suggesting a solution when relevant
- Gather a team to support experiments and implementation of proposed solution, and delegating tasks among team
- Run and iterate on experiments, create and implement solutions when relevant, and compare results with existing work
- Work with manager or team to understand and refine their requirements for the task
- Create, document, and present roadmaps and possible solutions
- Develop software in support of design selected by team
- Write and publish papers.
- Interview and assess research, young investigator, and engineering candidates for hire
What You’ll Need:
Requires a bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in computer science related major PLUS 2 years of experience:
- Developing interactive simulations (such as video games using Unity, OpenGL, DirectX) focused on artificial intelligence and responsive web applications using React, Redux or similar technologies,
- Collecting annotation data using Amazon Mechanical Turk, Crowdflower or similar frameworks
- Performing data analysis to train machine learning models
- Training deep learning models for computer vision tasks
- Deploying web-based services using Google Cloud, Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure or similar cloud platform
- Building a deep learning project or projects using machine learning libraries (Pytorch, Tensorflow or Theano)
- Performing full stack development
- Developing software using container technologies (e.g. Docker)
Must have published at least 1 research paper related to artificial intelligence at a top scientific conference. Must have at least one shipped web-based user facing interactive application for which the applicant worked on a significant feature or system.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
Perceptual Reasoning and Interaction Research, PRIOR, is a computer vision research team within the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence. PRIOR seeks to advance computer vision to create AI systems that see, explore, learn, and reason about the world.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.