Sr. Research Engineer - AllenNLP
Seattle or Irvine
AI2 is looking for a talented senior engineer for the AllenNLP team, to help advance our open-source NLP research library built on PyTorch. This person would be part of the small team of researchers and engineers that drives the library forward and would have the opportunity to work on all aspects of the project as well as direct its future. We’re looking for someone with experience working with open-source projects, deep knowledge of Python, and a strong understanding of modern deep learning and natural language processing.
Since its launch in September 2017, AllenNLP has grown to be a major framework for research scientists to build state-of-the-art models, with over 150 citations and over 400 public projects on GitHub. We want not only to continue this growth, but also to be leaders in our areas of active research--such as the interpretability of models and making ML research more efficient and reliable through Green AI. To get there, you will help by adding new NLP components as they are developed in the research community, optimizing AllenNLP so it becomes the most efficient deep learning framework, and growing the library in the direction that best serves its community.
Your Next Challenge:
- Making state-of-the-art techniques and architectures for building the best NLP models accessible in the research community.
- Optimizing deep learning models for training and prediction runtime.
- Establishing and implementing best practices for measuring model complexity in a reproducible way.
- Supporting and collaborating with an open-source community.
- Identifying investments that solve general user pain points.
- Bridging the gap between cutting-edge research and a widely adopted product.
- Using software engineering best practices in a research environment.
What You’ll Need:
- 3+ years of industry experience.
- Knowledge of modern deep learning and natural language processing techniques.
- Strong software engineering skills, particularly around library design, building performant systems, and debugging.
- Experience with Python and PyTorch.
- Familiarity with software using container technologies (e.g. Docker) to deploy web-based services.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.