User Experience Researcher [Contract]
Who You Are:
- A User Experience Researcher who is interested in conceptualizing and helping to define the user experience for our academic search and discovery tool, Semantic Scholar. Since its launch in November 2015, Semantic Scholar (semanticscholar.org) has indexed and learned from over 170 million research papers in thousands of journals and conferences. As a part-time, contract User Experience Researcher, you will play a critical role in helping us understand our users and ensure the usability and success of our product.
- In this role, you would be responsible for identifying research opportunities for both foundational user research and targeted feature usability studies. This will involve working closely with our product manager and designer to define recruitment strategies for acquiring participants, design research plans that result in qualitative and quantitative feedback, and presenting the results of the studies to the team. The ideal candidate will have experience organizing studies that validate user profiles as well as features, wireframes and implementation of UI improvements without requiring a significant amount of direct supervision.
Your Next Challenge:
- Manage recruitment activities for user research
- Identify the best method, or a mix of methods, based on research questions to define a research plan and design studies.
- Conduct research studies with methodological rigor and document results.
- Synthesize qualitative and quantitative results to create insightful and actionable findings.
- Communicate study findings and prototype testing results to the product team both in written and oral form.
- Provide recommendations on product improvements based on findings.
What You’ll Need:
- 3+ years of industry experience conducting user research in a consumer software product development organization
- BA/BS in a human behavior related field (e.g., HCI, Information Sciences, Psychology, etc)
- Familiarity with and experience conducting a wide range of qualitative and user-centered design methods for foundational user research and targeted usability studies.
- Confidence in organizing and executing studies without requiring a significant amount of direct supervision.
- Ability to perform basic quantitative statistical analysis
- Ability to craft compelling presentations summarizing research findings
- Familiarity with interaction design and testing
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.