Terms and Conditions of Use
Effective: August 24, 2018
WELCOME TO THE AI2 WEBSITES. PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE CAREFULLY.
ELIGIBILITY Use of the Sites is void where prohibited. By using the Sites and their features, You represent and warrant that: (a) You are 18 years or older; (b) Your use of the Sites does not violate any applicable law or regulation; and (c) You are responsible for all User Content (defined below) posted and activity that occurs under your account (even when User Content is posted by others who have accounts under your account).
- THE SITES AND ALL CONTENT, SERVICES, SOFTWARE OR OTHER MATERIALS (COLLECTIVELY “MATERIAL”) AVAILABLE AT THE SITES, ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS FROM AI2 AND ITS AFFILIATES AND CONTENT PROVIDERS. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SITES IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY MATERIAL.
- AI2 MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WITH REGARD TO THE MATERIAL OR SERVICES AVAILABLE AT THE SITES. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, AI2 DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND/OR NONINFRINGMENT REGARDING THE SITES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES RELATED TO THE OPERATION OF THE SITES, THE INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS, AND SERVICES DESCRIBED THEREIN, AND ANY INFORMATION OR APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH THE SITES. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, AI2 DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITES OR ANY OF ITS FUNCTIONS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE SITES ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. AI2 DOES NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE OF THE MATERIALS ON THE SITES OR THE SERVICES DESCRIBED THEREIN.
- AI2 takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any User Content posted, stored or uploaded by you or any third party, or for any loss or damage thereto, nor is AI2 liable for any mistakes, defamation, slander, libel, omissions, falsehoods, obscenity, pornography or profanity you may encounter. Your use of the Sites is at your own risk. As a provider of interactive services, AI2 is not liable for any statements, representations or User Content or Third Party Content provided by its users on the Sites.
General Proprietary Rights: The Sites are owned by AI2 and contain material that is derived in whole or in part from AI2 and other sources. The Sites and their contents are protected by international copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute in any way any material from the Sites, including without limitation code or software, without AI2’s express written permission.
Copyright: All site design, text, code, graphics, and interfaces, and the selection and arrangements thereof, on the Sites are the property of AI2, or their content suppliers, and are protected by U.S. and other international copyright laws ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Prior permission to use, reproduce, or reprint any photograph, illustration, artwork, or other information or materials on the Sites must be obtained from the copyright owner, regardless of the intended use. Any unauthorized use of the materials appearing on the Sites is in violation of copyright, trademark, and other applicable laws and could result in criminal or civil penalties.
Trademarks: “AI2”, “Aristo”, “Beaker”, “Cut Through the Clutter”, “Iconary”, “Mosiac”, Semantic Scholar”, “AI for the Common Good” and the AI2 Logo are trademarks of AI2 and/or its affiliates. They may not be used in connection with any product or service other than those services offered by Vulcan Inc. or its affiliates, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion, or in any manner that disparages or discredits AI2 or its affiliates. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
USER CONTENT The Sites may allow you to post, submit, publish, display, make available for download and use or transmit to other users or other persons any content, source code, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively “User Content”) on or through the Sites.
- Any User Content you post to the Sites publicly will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary.
- By displaying, publishing or making User Content publicly available for download or use by others, you give AI2 a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, sublicense, make derivative works of, and distribute User Content which you submit, post or display on or through the Site or in connection with any Service. You agree that this license includes a right for AI2 to make User Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom AI2 has relationships for the provision of services (“Authorized Third Parties”), and to use and have AI2 Authorized Third Parties use, the User Content in connection with the provision of those services. You understand that AI2 or Authorized Third Parties may (i) transmit or distribute User Content over various public networks and in various media; and (ii) make such changes to User Content as are necessary to conform and adapt User Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. Further, you understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Service, including User Content, may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices. You agree that this license shall permit AI2 and Authorized Third Parties to take these actions.
LINKS FROM THE SITES The Sites contain (or you may be sent through the Sites to) links to other websites (“Third Party Sites”) as well as articles, photographs, text, graphics, pictures, designs, music, sound, video, information, applications, software and other content or items belonging to or originating from third parties in a variety of media, including without limitation, sharable software files that contain executable code posted on the Site by other users (the “Third Party Content”). These Third Party Sites are provided for your convenience only. AI2 has no control over the Third Party Content or the Third Party Sites and accepts no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the Third Party Sites, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such Third Party Sites.
PROTECTION OF YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS/DMCA We take claims of copyright infringement seriously. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable law. If you believe any materials accessible on or from the Sites infringe your copyright, you may request removal of those materials (or access to them) from the Sites by submitting written notification to our Copyright Agent (designated below). In accordance with the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. § 512) (“DMCA“), the written notice (the “DMCA Notice“) must include substantially the following.
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the copyrighted work you believe to have been infringed or, if the claim involves multiple works on the Sites, a representative list of such works;
- Identification of the material you believe to be infringing in a sufficiently precise manner to allow us to locate that material;
- Adequate information by which we can contact you, including your name, postal address, telephone number and, if available, e-mail address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law;
- A statement that the information in the written notice is accurate; and
- A statement, under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Our designated Copyright Agent to receive DMCA Notices is:
Attn: Legal Department, DMCA Notices
2157 North Northlake Way
Seattle, WA 98103
If you fail to comply with all of the requirements of the DMCA, your DMCA Notice may not be effective. Please be aware that if you knowingly materially misrepresent that material or activity on the Sites is infringing your copyright, you may be held liable for damages (including costs and attorney’s’ fees) under Section 512(f) of the DMCA. For clarity, only DMCA Notices should go to the AI2 Designated Copyright Agent.
EXPORT CONTROL By using the Sites, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any country to which the United States has embargoed goods. You agree you will not export or re-export any goods or products unless you have complied with all applicable U.S. and foreign government export controls and approvals. AI2 makes no claim that content contained on the Sites is appropriate or may be downloaded outside the United States. If you access the Sites from outside the United States, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for compliance with the laws of your country’s jurisdiction.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION Questions or comments about the Sites may be directed to AI2 at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org