Terms and Conditions of Use
Effective: August 24, 2018
WELCOME TO THE AI2 WEBSITES. PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE CAREFULLY.
is displayed (including, without limitation, all subpages and subdomains of the main website at allenai.org, as well
as other websites under the AI2 domain, and the content, functionality and services available on or through any of
the foregoing (individually and collectively, the “Sites”) are provided to you by the Allen Institute for Artificial
Intelligence (“AI2” or “Us”) and are intended to provide information about and access to the products and services
of AI2. The Sites allow you to interact with us and others and provide you the opportunity to contact us directly.
incorporate by reference, govern your access to and use of the Sites, whether as a guest or a registered user.
under separate license terms. Those additional or different terms and conditions will be provided to you prior
extent they conflict.
Policy, You must not access or use the Sites.
ELIGIBILITY Use of the Sites is void where prohibited. By using the Sites and their features, You represent
and warrant that:
- You are 18 years or older;
- You are a human. You must be a human.
- All information you submit to AI2 through the Sites is truthful and accurate;
- You will maintain the accuracy of such information;
- Your use of the Sites does not violate any applicable law or regulation;
- You will maintain the security of your account and password. AI2 cannot and will not be liable for any loss
or damage from your failure to comply with this security obligation; and
- You are responsible for all User Content (defined below) posted and activity that occurs under your account
(even when User Content is posted by others who have accounts under your account).
IF YOU ARE ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF A COMPANY OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY, YOU REPRESENT THAT YOU
HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO BIND SUCH ENTITY, ITS AFFILIATES AND ALL USERS WHO ACCESS THE SITES THROUGH YOUR ACCOUNT
TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, IN WHICH CASE THE TERMS “YOU” OR “YOUR” SHALL REFER TO SUCH ENTITY, ITS AFFILIATES
AND USERS ASSOCIATED WITH IT. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SUCH AUTHORITY, OR IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THESE TERMS AND
CONDITIONS, YOU MUST NOT ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT AND MAY NOT USE THE SERVICES.
MODIFICATION/AMENDMENT AI2 reserves the right to change or modify any of the terms and conditions contained
or modification will be effective immediately upon posting of the revisions on the Sites, and you waive any right
you may have to receive specific notice of such changes or modifications. Your continued use of the Sites following
the posting of changes or modifications will confirm your acceptance of such changes or modifications. If you do
not agree to the amended terms, you must stop using the Sites. You are expected to check this page frequently so
you are aware of any changes, as they are binding on you.
REGISTRATION DATA AND ACCOUNT SECURITY
- To access the Sites, you may be asked to provide certain registration details or other information. It is
a condition of your use of the Sites that all the information you provide on the Sites is correct, current
and complete. You agree that all information you provide to register with the Sites or otherwise, including
https://allenai.org/privacy-policy.html, and you consent to all actions we take with respect to your information
- If you choose, or are provided with, a user name, password or any other piece of information as part of our
security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential, and you must not disclose it to any other
person or entity. You also acknowledge that your account is personal to you and you agree not to provide any
other person with access to the Sites or portions of it using your user name, password or other security information.
You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized access to or use of your user name or password or any
other breach of security. You also agree to ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session.
You should use particular caution when accessing your account from a public or shared computer so that others
are not able to view or record your password or other personal information.
- We have the right to disable any user name, password or other identifier, whether chosen by you or provided
by us, at any time in our sole discretion if, in our opinion, you have violated any provision of these Terms
of Use. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account and for all activity
that occurs on your account. You agree to immediately notify AI2 of any unauthorized use of your account or
any other breach of security. AI2 will not be liable for any loss you incur as a result of someone else using
your password and account with, or without, your permission.
on how AI2 collects, uses and discloses personally identifiable information from its users in connection with the
PROPRIETARY RIGHTS You acknowledge and agree that AI2 (or AI2’s licensors) owns all legal right, title and
interest in and to the Sites. The visual interfaces, graphics, design, systems, methods, information, computer
code, software, services, “look and feel”, organization, compilation of the content, code, data, and all other
elements of the Sites (collectively, the “AI2 Materials”) are protected by United States copyright, trade dress,
patent, and trademark laws, international conventions, and all other relevant intellectual property and proprietary
rights, and applicable laws. Except for any User Content owned and/or posted by you or other users, all AI2 Materials
are the copyrighted property of AI2 or its licensors. Furthermore, all trademarks, service marks, and trade names
contained in the AI2 Materials and otherwise displayed on the Sites (“Marks”) are the property of AI2 or other
third parties. You are not permitted to use the Marks without the prior written consent of AI2 or such third party.
Except as expressly set forth herein, your use of the Sites does not grant to you ownership of or any other rights
with respect to any content, code, data, user comments or other materials that you may access on or through the
Sites. AI2 reserves all rights to the AI2 Materials.
USER CONTENT The Sites may allow you to post, submit, publish, display, make available for download and
use or transmit to other users or other persons any content, source code, messages, text, files, images, photos,
video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively “User Content”) on or through
- Any User Content you post to the Sites publicly will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary.
- By displaying, publishing or making User Content publicly available for download or use by others, you give
AI2 a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify,
translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, sublicense, make derivative works of, and distribute
User Content which you submit, post or display on or through the Site or in connection with any Service. You
agree that this license includes a right for AI2 to make User Content available to other companies, organizations
or individuals with whom AI2 has relationships for the provision of services (“Authorized Third Parties”),
and to use and have AI2 Authorized Third Parties use, the User Content in connection with the provision of
those services. You understand that AI2 or Authorized Third Parties may (i) transmit or distribute User Content
over various public networks and in various media; and (ii) make such changes to User Content as are necessary
to conform and adapt User Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or
media. Further, you understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Service, including User
Content, may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes
to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices. You agree that this license
shall permit AI2 and Authorized Third Parties to take these actions.
- By displaying, publishing or making User Content available to AI2 other than as provided above, you give
AI2 a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify,
translate, and distribute User Content solely for the purpose of providing the Services and operating the Sites.
You agree that this license includes a right for AI2 to make User Content available to Authorized Third Parties
solely for the purpose of providing the Services and operating the Sites.
- You represent and warrant that (i) you own and control all of the rights to the User Content that you post
or you otherwise have the right to post such User Content to the Site and grant any rights you grant therein;
(ii) the User Content is accurate and not misleading; and (iii) the use and posting of the User Content as
and will not infringe or violate any rights of, or cause injury to, any person or entity.
CONTENT STANDARDS/RESTRICTIONS: These content standards apply to any and all User Contributions and use
by You of the Services. User Contributions must in their entirety comply with all applicable federal, state, local
and international laws and regulations. In addition, without limiting the foregoing, User Contributions must not:
- contain any viruses, corrupted data, malicious code or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files designed
or intended to, or that could reasonably be expected to (i) damage any computer system, hardware, firmware,
network; or (ii) steal or exfiltrate valuable data.
- be unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, suggestive, harassing, threatening,
invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive, inflammatory, fraudulent or otherwise objectionable;
- constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or
that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law;
- infringe or violate any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual or proprietary right
of any other person;
- impersonate any person or entity or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- contain unsolicited promotions, political campaigning, advertising or solicitations;
- contain private or personally identifiable information not otherwise in the public domain (other than to
private repositories or as otherwise covered by a separate agreement between You and AI2);
- contain any material which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful,
inflammatory or otherwise objectionable;
- promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion,
nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- contain any material that could give rise to any civil or criminal liability under applicable laws or regulations
- be likely to deceive any person;
- involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes and other sales promotions, barter
- give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by AI2 or any other person or entity, if this
is not the case;
- in the sole judgment of AI2, is objectionable or which restricts or inhibits any other person from using
or enjoying the Sites, or which may expose AI2 or its users to any harm or liability of any type
AI2 may reject, refuse to post or delete any User Content for any or no reason, including without limitation,
assumes no responsibility for monitoring the Sites for inappropriate User Content or conduct. If at any time
AI2 chooses, in its sole discretion, to monitor the Sites, AI2 nonetheless assumes no responsibility for the
User Content, no obligation to modify or remove any inappropriate User Content and no responsibility for the
User Conduct of the user submitting any such User Content.
MONITORING AND ENFORCEMENT; TERMINATION We have the right to:
- Take any action with respect to any User Contribution that we deem necessary or appropriate in our sole discretion,
infringes any intellectual property right or other right of any person or entity, threatens the personal safety
of users of the Website or the public or could create liability for the Company.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal
or unauthorized use of the Sites;
- Terminate or suspend your access to all or part of the Sites for any or no reason, including without limitation,
LINKS FROM THE SITES. The Sites contain (or you may be sent through the Sites to) links to other websites
(“Third Party Sites”) as well as articles, photographs, text, graphics, pictures, designs, music, sound, video,
information, applications, software and other content or items belonging to or originating from third parties in
a variety of media, including without limitation, sharable software files that contain executable code posted on
the Site by other users (the “Third Party Content”). These Third Party Sites are provided for your convenience
only. AI2 has no control over the Third Party Content or the Third Party Sites and accepts no responsibility for
them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the Third Party
Sites, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such Third Party
PROTECTION OF YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS/DMCA. We take claims of copyright infringement seriously.
We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable law. If you believe any
materials accessible on or from the Sites infringe your copyright, you may request removal of those materials (or
access to them) from the Sites by submitting written notification to our Copyright Agent (designated below). In
accordance with the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act of the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act (17 U.S.C. § 512) (“DMCA“), the written notice (the “DMCA Notice“) must include substantially the following:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the copyrighted work you believe to have been infringed or, if the claim involves multiple
works on the Sites, a representative list of such works;
- Identification of the material you believe to be infringing in a sufficiently precise manner to allow us
to locate that material;
- Adequate information by which we can contact you, including your name, postal address, telephone number and,
if available, e-mail address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the
copyright owner, its agent or the law;
- A statement that the information in the written notice is accurate; and
- A statement, under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Our designated Copyright Agent to receive DMCA Notices is:
Attn: Legal Department, DMCA Notices
2157 North Northlake Way
Seattle, WA 98103
If you fail to comply with all of the requirements of the DMCA, your DMCA Notice may not be effective. Please
be aware that if you knowingly materially misrepresent that material or activity on the Sites is infringing your
copyright, you may be held liable for damages (including costs and attorney’s’ fees) under Section 512(f) of
the DMCA. For clarity, only DMCA Notices should go to the AI2 Designated Copyright Agent.
You agree not to use the Sites:
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local or international law or regulation (including,
without limitation, any laws regarding the export of data or software to and from the US or other countries);
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them
to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information or otherwise;
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any “junk mail”,
“chain letter” or “spam” or any other similar solicitation;
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate AI2, an AI2 employee, another user or any other person or entity
(including, without limitation, by using e-mail addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing);
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or enjoyment of the Sites, or which,
as determined by us, may harm AI2 or users of the Sites or expose them to liability.
- Post or transmit through the Sites any material or content that violates or infringes in any way the rights
of others or solicits, encourages or promotes the use of illegal substances or activities, which is unlawful,
threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, derogatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights,
vulgar, obscene, bigoted or hateful, profane, scandalous, pornographic, indecent or otherwise objectionable,
gives rise to civil or criminal liability or otherwise violates any applicable law;
- Use the Sites in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or interfere with
any other party’s use of the Sites, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the Sites;
- Use any robot, spider or other automatic device, process or means to access the Sites for any purpose, including
monitoring or copying any of the material on the Sites;
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the material on the Sites or for any other unauthorized
purpose without our prior written consent;
- Use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Sites;
- Introduce any viruses, trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage or disrupt any parts of the Sites, the server
on which the Sites is stored, or any server, computer or database connected to the Sites;
- Attack the Sites via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack;
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Sites.
Your use of the Sites and Service is subject to all applicable local, state, national and international laws
and regulations, and you agree not to violate such laws and regulations. you may not use the Sites or Service
for any illegal or unauthorized purpose. you must not, in the use of the Service, violate any laws in your jurisdiction
(including but not limited to copyright or trademark laws). Any attempt by any person to deliberately damage
the Sites or Service is a violation of criminal and civil laws. AI2 reserves the right to seek damages from any
such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- THE SITES AND ALL CONTENT, SERVICES, SOFTWARE OR OTHER MATERIAL (COLLECTIVELY “MATERIAL”) AVAILABLE AT THE
SITES, ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS FROM AI2 AND ITS AFFILIATES AND CONTENT PROVIDERS.
ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SITES IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY
RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY MATERIAL.
- EXCEPT AS MAY BE EXPRESSLY WARRANTED IN A LICENSE AGREEMENT OR OTHER AGREEMENT, AI2 MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS
OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WITH REGARD TO THE MATERIAL OR SERVICES AVAILABLE AT THE SITES. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT
PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, AI2 DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND/OR NONINFRINGMENT. YOU
ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK OF SELECTION AND USE OF THE MATERIAL OR SERVICES AVAILABLE AT THE SITES. WITHOUT LIMITING
THE FOREGOING, AI2 MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT (i) THE MATERIAL OR SERVICES OFFERED ON THE SITES WILL MEET YOUR
REQUIREMENTS OR EXPECTATIONS, (ii) THE MATERIAL OR SERVICES OFFERED ON THE SITES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY,
SECURE, COMPLETE OR ERROR-FREE, OR (iii) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE MATERIALS OR
SERVICES WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE. SOFTWARE IS WARRANTED, IF AT ALL, IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS OF THE
LICENSE AGREEMENT. EXCEPT AS SET FORTH IN THE LICENSE AGREEMENT, AI2 DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS,
REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
- WHILE AI2 ATTEMPTS TO MAKE YOUR ACCESS AND USE OF THE SITES SAFE, AI2 CANNOT AND DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT
THAT THE SITES OR OUR SERVER(S) ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS; THEREFORE, YOU SHOULD USE
INDUSTRY- RECOGNIZED SOFTWARE TO DETECT AND DISINFECT VIRUSES FROM ANY DOWNLOAD.
- AI2 takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any User Content posted, stored or uploaded by you
or any third party, or for any loss or damage thereto, nor is AI2 liable for any mistakes, defamation, slander,
libel, omissions, falsehoods, obscenity, pornography or profanity you may encounter. Your use of the Sites
is at your own risk. As a provider of interactive services, AI2 is not liable for any statements, representations
or User Content or Third Party Content provided by its users on the Site.
- Without limiting the foregoing, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities
or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting any
materials on or through the Sites. YOU WAIVE AND HOLD HARMLESS THE COMPANY FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY
ACTION TAKEN BY THE COMPANY DURING OR AS A RESULT OF ITS INVESTIGATIONS AND FROM ANY ACTIONS TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE
OF INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER THE COMPANY OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT WILL AI2, ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES OR AGENTS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS
OF USE, LOSS OF PROFITS OR LOSS OF DATA, WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NEGLIGENCE)
OR OTHERWISE, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITES, THE USER CONTENT
OR THE OTHER SITE MATERIALS CONTAINED IN OR ACCESSED THROUGH THE SITES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY DAMAGES
CASED BY OR RESULTING FROM RELIANCE BY USER ON ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM AI2, OR THAT RESULT FROM MISTAKES,
OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DELETION OF FILES OR EMAIL, ERRORS, DEFECTS, VIRUSES, DELAYS IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION
OR ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, WHETHER OR NOT RESULTING FROM ACTS OF GOD, COMMUNICATIONS FAILURE, THEFT, DESTRUCTION
OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO AI2’S RECORDS, PROGRAMS OR SERVICES. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF AI2,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, WHETHER ACTIVE, PASSIVE OR IMPUTED), PRODUCT LIABILITY,
STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHER THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITES, THE USER
CONTENT OR OTHER SITE MATERIALS EXCEED THE GREATER OF (i) ANY COMPENSATION YOU PAY, IF ANY, TO AI2; and (ii) FIVE
ARE FOR ANY REASON HELD UNENFORCEABLE OR INAPPLICABLE, YOU AGREE THAT AI2’S AGGREGATE LIABILITY WILL NOT EXCEED
FIVE HUNDRED ($500) DOLLARS.
INDEMNIFICATION. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless AI2, its affiliates, licensors and service
providers, and its and their respective officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, licensors, suppliers,
successors and assigns from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, judgments, awards, losses, costs, expenses
or your use of the Sites, including, but not limited to, your User Contributions, any use of the Site’s content,
from the Sites.
accordance with the laws of the State of Washington, applicable to agreements made and to be entirely performed
within the State of Washington, without resort to its conflict of law provisions. You agree that any action at
located in King County, Washington and you hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent and submit to the exclusive
EXPORT CONTROL. By using the Sites, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control
of, or a national or resident of any country to which the United States has embargoed goods. You agree you will
not export or re-export any goods or products unless you have complied with all applicable U.S. and foreign government
export controls and approvals. AI2 makes no claim that content contained on the Sites is appropriate or may be
downloaded outside the United States. If you access the Sites from outside the United States, you do so at your
own risk and are responsible for compliance with the laws of your country’s jurisdiction.
TERMINATION. AI2 reserves the right, without notice and in its sole discretion, to terminate your license
to use the Sites, and to block or prevent future your access to and use of the Sites.
of any remaining provisions.
LIMITATION ON TIME TO FILE CLAIMS. ANY CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM YOU MAY HAVE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING
SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION. Questions or comments about the Sites may be directed to AI2 at the email